Prices and Ordering
Prices and options
- Narrow rings in Damascus do not show off the pattern very well. We prefer to have a minimum width of 4 mm.
- Prices include a sterling silver sleeve
- Prices are quoted in South African Rands
Prices in Rands (no increase in prices for the last 3 years)
4 to 6.4 mm wide R2 750
6.5 to 9.4 mm wide R3 250
9.5 to 12 mm wide R3 600
- If you wish to have the ring with wide rails in sterling silver, it will cost an extra R750.
- If you would like the ring lined in titanium, it costs an extra R700.
- Prices for gold wire inlay or sleeves, special shapes, stones or any one-off ideas you may have, on request.
Inside ring engraving is possible. We do not own a machine that can do the engraving, we engrave by hand (very difficult to do) and can only engrave if the ring is lined in silver or gold (not on titanium). R500 for 25 characters (including spaces), depending on the ring size. You can have the ring sleeve laser engraved after buying it. Engraving on the damascus steel is not a great idea, as the writing gets lost in the damascus pattern. We require payment once the ring is finished but before we personalise it.
Payment and Postage
You only need to pay for the ring when it is complete, we do not require a deposit, except if you order a ring with a gold sleeve.
All prices are listed in South African Rands and do not include postage.
Sorry, we do not accept credit card sales except in person from our showroom. We also don't have an e-commerce website as we still believe in good old-fashioned personal contact with our customers. It also means that by using this personal method, we can make sure that the ring is still available as it may have recently sold out of the showroom. We update our website ourselves in real-time, manually, nothing here at Heavin Forge is automated! Rings will only be mailed after payment has cleared in our account.
We accept payments into our account with ABSA bank, again, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for the account details and to check that the ring you want is still available, that is the reason that we don't have our bank details on our website, to avoid accidentally selling the ring twice! We also accept PayPal payments.
For door to door couriers, we charge R200 within South Africa. You are welcome to arrange your own courier to collect the parcel. We can give you a quote on overseas couriering, we do not use the Post Office.
Please note that once the parcel has been collected by the courier, we are not responsible for it. We wrap each ring extremely carefully and insure each parcel, but it is out of our hands once we sign the collection form, we hope you understand. We will email you the waybill number for tracking purposes. "Touch wood" and thank goodness we are not superstitious, but, luckily in the last 25 years of using couriers, we have never had a single parcel damaged or go missing.
How to order
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details to obtain a quote.
- We would need you to get your ring size (preferably an inside diameter in mm) taken by a jeweller using a "wide" ring sizer, not a "narrow" one. Manufacturing jewellers will have wide ring sizers. If they don't have a wide ring sizer, find a ring of theirs of a similar width the the one you want and ask them to measure the inside diameter.
- The width you would like. Anywhere between 4 mm to 12 mm wide.
- The pattern you require, fine, medium or bold feather pattern.
- Your choice of the sleeve, sterling silver, gold or titanium and whether or not you would like it with wide rails or just the sleeve. We cannot do wide rails with titanium, only a sleeve.
- We need as much time as possible lead time to make the ring, preferably 6 weeks, so please let me know your wedding date if it is a wedding band.
- We need your physical address and phone number for the courier.
- You only need to pay for the ring once it is finished. We will email you a photo of the ring when it is complete and send you our bank account details. Once payment has been received, we will arrange the courier and email you the tracking number.
If you accept our quote and give us the go-ahead, we will try our best to have the ring ready well within the 6 weeks that we advertise. We would only require a 50% deposit on the price of the gold if you choose a gold sleeve, rails or inlay.
A note for jewellers regarding sizing: Damascus is a ferrous steel and unlike nonferrous metals, it cannot be re-sized. The size must be taken with a wide ring sizer and we can make rings in half sizes. If possible please give the size in millimetres for the inside diameter. If the ring looks dull, it can be lightly buffed and re-waxed. Email us if you have any questions.
These photos show the difference between a "narrow" and "wide" ring sizer. Please take your ring size with the "wide" ring sizer as once you have given me your size, w will make it to that exact size and cannot replace it if it does not fit due to us being given the incorrect size. You will be liable for payment. Just 0.25 mm makes a big difference in the correct size of a ring.
We normally have a few rings in stock. If we don't have one that suits you, we can make you one, but please realize that we can never repeat a pattern, each ring is unique which is what makes it special. The patterns we make are Bold Feather, Medium Feather and Fine Feather. If you have found a different pattern on a damascus ring on the internet, please understand that we cannot replicate it, we only offer the three options.
Examples of fine, medium and bold feather patterns
Each ring comes with a tiny piece of very fine polishing cloth to use on the ring if ever it looks dull. We include a tin of our Harvey's Conservation Paste to use on the ring if ever you need to store it as well as a write up on how the ring was made and how to care for it.
You can wear the ring 24/7 and it should require no maintenance. It is safe to wear the ring during bathing and showering, it will dry off with the heat of your hands. Don’t leave it lying in water next to the sink. If you swim in the sea, coat the ring with a little bit of our wax first. Your damascus ring should outlast any other jewellery you own and hopefully be handed down through your family for the next thousand years or so! A wonderful thought to have.